Before School Check
The Before School Check is the eighth and final check in the national Well Child / Tamariki Ora health programme. The programme aims to identify any health concern that may affect a child’s ability to learn in the school environment. In Canterbury most Before School Checks are delivered in General Practice.
All four year old children are eligible to have a Before School Check. This is a free service. The checks are provided by registered nurses who have completed the Before School Check training programme. A free general practice consultation is offered for any child identified as requiring a follow up consultation as a result of the check.
The check is only completed with parental participation and consent.
The check includes:
* advice and support for parents about child health and development
* a child health questionnaire
* a hearing and vision screen
* an oral health screen
* socialisation and development monitoring
* height and weight measurements, and
* referrals to specialist services if the child appears to have problems that require further support or investigation, for example, speech and/or language development.
Further information is also available on the Ministry of Health website